The Montanejos hot springs, Valencia, are an epic wild swimming area in a river located in the countryside just outside the lovely village of Montanejos.
Montanejos hot springs, Valencia. The secret of eternal youth
- The Montanejos hot springs, Valencia
- The story of the hot springs in Montanejos. The secret of eternal youth
- Wild swimming in the hot springs, Valencia.
- Where to stay near the Montanejos hot springs, Valencia.
- Where to eat in Montanejos
- Montanejos hot springs in winter
- The Valencia Guide
The Montanejos hot springs, Valencia
Surprisingly enough, one of the best places for a swim in Valencia is not the sea, but a river, particularly the river Mijares when it arrives to the charming village of Montanejos.
The area with the natural hot springs is actually called Fuente de los Baños and it is one of the most special places for a swim in the Valencian Community.
The story of the hot springs in Montanejos. The secret of eternal youth
People has lived in the Montanejos area since neolitical times. In fact, there is a nearby archaeological site called “La Cueva Negra” where they found evidence of those first settlements.
The waters from the Fuente de los Baños have been considered therapeutical for many decades. People in the old days will travel kilometres just to recover their health in those waters.
However, the times we are more amazed about are the ones in which the area was inhabited by Islamic population, around the XIII century.
The Islamic king Abu Zayd thought the waters in Montanejos were the secret to eternal beauty and youth.
Consequently, he built a bathing area for the ladies of his personal harem. And today you can swim in the same waters. A very special experience indeed!
Wild swimming in the hot springs, Valencia.
The original baths of the harem do not exist anymore but you can still swim in the same waters in Fuente de los Baños.
While you can swim in other areas of the river Mijares, the Fuente de los Baños is the place with the hot springs. We recommend river shoes like this ones as the bottom is a bit rocky.
The water comes out around 26 degrees all year long. However, be aware that, although they are far away from the usual freezing waters of any river, they are not a balmy warm bath either.
But regardless of how warm you like your bath, we can guarantee you will enjoy the breathtaking landscape and crystalline waters in one of the most beautiful parts of Valencia.
Where to stay near the Montanejos hot springs, Valencia.
There are some hotels in the village should you decide to stay the night and the one we stayed in even has spa facilities to get the most out of the therapeutical properties of these amazing waters.
We stayed in Hotel Rosaleda del Mijares as its location is spectacular, right by the river, and the rooms are modern and nice.
Moreover, they also have a bar right by the river to enjoy a drink with an epic view, and spa facilities to chill at the end of the day.
However, while we liked the hotel, we didn’t love the food so we recommend you explore the restaurants in the village, it is small and everything is within 5 min walk.
Where to eat in Montanejos
Undoubtedly, the best option for lunch is a picnic by the river near Fuente de los Baños. There are plenty of lovely spots and you can buy everything you need in the local grocery stores in the village of Montanejos.
If you are looking for a nice spot for dinner we went to La Sede and really enjoyed the grilled meats and octopus!
Montanejos hot springs in winter
You can swim in the river in Montanejos all year long but keep in mind the temperatures in winter can be as low as 2°C!
While the water will feel warmer than the outside be aware it will be indeed really cold when you get out!
Useful information if you visit Montanejos hot springs, Valencia.
While you can visit Montanejos all year long, the place gets very crowded in summer, specially at the weekends. An ideal time to visit is spring or the month of September.
Some months you need to purchase a ticket to get in. More information on the area and tickets here.
- There is a bar right next to the hot springs to enjoy a cold (or hot!) drink after your swim but the food options are very limited (At least last time we visited).
- Conveniently, you will also find bathrooms.
- There are wonderful hike trails around.
SAVE MONEY ON YOUR TRIP TO SPAIN!
- Need to get your flight? We compare and find the CHEAPEST FLIGHTS here>
- Need to get accommodation? We find the BEST HOTELS with free cancellation here >
- Fancy a free tour? Find a FREE TOUR in your destination>
- Need to rent a car? We compare and get the CHEAPEST CARS here>
- If you need inspiration for your trip check our map ♥
* This blog contains affiliate links. If you purchase or book something, we get a commission at no extra cost to you.